Making a splash in the job market can be a daunting prospect. Competition has never been higher, and your fellow contenders are constantly using every tool in their arsenal – including cutting a swath through social media – to get a leg up.
Headhunters employed by a talent recruitment agency are searching for well-rounded workers who are ambitious, yet humble; individuals who demonstrate a willingness to learn, in addition to the ability to be where they say they will be and do what they say they will do.
If you’ve cleared those high watermarks, here are five additional ways to increase your visibility and stand out from the rest of the crowd.
- An amazing resume. Which isn’t to say embellished. Keep it current. Keep it concise. Keep it real.
- A social media presence. Approximately 93% of companies turn to LinkedIn when hiring their next superstar. So be sure to have an account and a profile – and populate it with your skills, accomplishments, and keywords relating to the job you are applying for.
- A perfected pitch. Do you have your 30 second elevator speech ready? When a recruiter reaches out, letting him or her know clearly and professionally what you are looking for in a job not only demonstrates a certain level of hutzpah, but allows the recruiter to more efficiently “sell” you to prospective employers. In addition, your efforts will eliminate time-consuming calls for positions that aren’t a fit, while keeping your name at the forefront for those that are.
- Staying power. If you’ve been fortunate – and savvy – enough to remain with one organization for an extended period of time, leverage this trait to the nth Tenure is an extremely marketable asset and blows the musical chairs-like appearance of switching jobs every couple of years out of the water.
- In short, be yourself. Be honest. Let your true colors show. Headhunters with a talent recruitment agency are searching for relatability and that certain someone who fits with a certain workplace culture or style. Don’t second guess yourself or attempt to put on the face of the employee you think they want to see. This often backfires. And even if it doesn’t, it’s a charade that will ultimately not pass muster in the long run.
While not exclusively a talent recruitment agency, Maslow Media Group offers a comprehensive resource for staffing and outsourced recruiting, in addition to other outsourced human resources services. We regularly draw from an extensive network of contacts, including cable networks, corporate media departments, and thousands of professionals we have worked with throughout the years.
Are you on our list?
Maslow Media Group is continuously searching for qualified industry professionals and regularly matches professionals with companies that need their talents. Learn more here.